John 4:7-15 (NKJV)

The Samaritan Woman at the Well (John 4:7-15, NKJV)
7 A woman of Samaria came to draw water. Jesus said to her, “Give Me a drink.”
8 For His disciples had gone away into the city to buy food. 9 Then the woman of Samaria said to Him, “How is it that You, being a Jew, ask a drink from me, a Samaritan woman?” For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans. 10 Jesus answered and said to her, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, ‘Give Me a drink,’ you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water.” 11 The woman said to Him, “Sir, You have nothing to draw with, and the well is deep. Where then do You get that living water? 12 Are You greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well, and drank from it himself, as well as his sons and his livestock?” 13 Jesus answered and said to her, “Whoever drinks of this water will thirst again, 14 but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.” 15 The woman said to Him, “Sir, give me this water, that I may not thirst, nor come here to draw.”

Do You Want His Living Water? ~ How to Get Saved!

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Restoring the Temple...Getting Healthy!

 My Journey to a Healthy Lifestyle:

I haven't blogged in quite a while now...but I have been going through a transformation, inside and out.  For many years now, I have harbored resentful feelings toward myself and my body for having "let myself go".  As I look back on the past few years, I certainly do not see laziness.  I have been busy every second!  I see lack of time and care for myself.  I see my "temple" of the Holy Spirit, my body, being martyred for the sake of taking care of everyone else.  I would skip meals, not to lose weight, but because I forget to eat many times while taking care of a house, husband and three children.  In that time, I have also worked and pursued a Master's degree.  Everything but me, my health and my happiness had become a priority.  I am happy in the morning to wake up and take care of my family...don't get me wrong, I have a very amazing life...much better than I ever dreamed I would have.  There has always been this persistent problem of where I fit into the picture of my own life.  Is it ok to take time to nourish myself?  The obvious answer is "yes" but during the course of a busy life, it can be easy to deceive yourself into believing this time-out for yourself is just not an option.  I simply told myself that there are only so many hours in a day, and I am already not able to complete all the tasks on my to-do list every day -- where do I find time for healthy living?

I am sure I am not the only person who thinks this way.  Obesity in America is at an all-time high. In the past few years, I have gained a passion for food and cooking.  I enjoy making a wide variety of recipes and even creating my own.  However, I also live with a family who loves comfort food.  Who doesn't love comfort food, hence the name!  We comfort ourselves with food to deal with stress, loneliness, and pain.  We love a nice bowl of comforting ice cream before bed, or a deep dish lasagna full of gooey cheese.  I love these food as well, and could cook them now in my sleep!  But something inside of me has been crying out for more...a richer, healthier life, where I have more energy, sleep better, and look healthier.  I do not need to be a 102 lbs., as I was when I graduated high school...but I do NEED to be healthy.  At one of my last visits to the doctor, I was discussing the stress and fatigue in my life, and the doctor told me that it would be wonderful if I could lose 20 more lbs.  I was thinking, YEAH, wouldn't that be great....but HOW? 

Because I was always fit in my younger years and had a racing metabolism, I have never had to lose weight on purpose.  I am not a dieting person, and honestly, the process of dieting is complicated and overwhelming to me.  I need a system for living, a lifestyle change that can progress into more healthy living over time.  I need to change from the inside out, not just do a flash in the pan diet and lose 30 lbs, only to gain back 50.  I started praying over a year ago about my health issues.  I was having heart issues, lack of energy, pain in my joints...not to mention emotional effects from having to look in the mirror every morning and see the results of being pregnant so many times, and unhealthy eating.  Somehow, I had drifted from my youthful, healthy body and lifestyle to someone who has been asked numerous times in the past 2 years if I am "pregnant again." I can't even tell you how that feels.  I have graciously tried to lessen the humiliation of the people asking, while secretly dying inside at the thought of what they think!  I have hidden myself from cameras, worn oversized clothes, which only make me bigger-looking (and more pregnant), and ultimately tried to ignore myself for the past few years. 

A year ago, I became very dissatisfied with living this way.  I had been told by the doctors that I had dual heart conditions that would not allow me to exercise more than a power walk for the rest of my life, unless I received a pacemaker.  It was devastating news when you are 28 years old,  35-40 lbs. overweight and seem to have no hope of losing it.  Last year, I went to the Air Force Ball and had to squeeze into a size 12 dress.  That just about killed me, considering I spent most of my life between sizes 1 and 5.  When I saw the pictures from that night (although people told me I was beautiful), I felt anything but...

I began to maneuver through the vast world of diet, nutrition and exercise.  I felt so overwhelmed at where to start, how to lose weight, and how to change my lifestyle that I almost gave up before I even started.  I know now how it feels to be overweight.  I know how people look at you, what they say to you, and how you feel inside.  I have compassion and I have been comforted by the Lord in my trials that I helped to create.  The Bible says that we can comfort others with the comfort we have been given.  When I go into prayer and reading the Bible, I  see scriptures about how God sees me, and this is my comfort.  He looks at heart and not the outward appearance.  However, I still desire and pray for my outward appearance to change, and most of all, to feel healthy again...vibrant and energetic. 

I began to cry out to God and asked Him to heal my heart.  One day, while in prayer, I just knew in my heart that I would be healed completely.  We visited a new church shortly after, and a man spoke with faith into my life and told me that the Lord was going to heal my heart completely.  Within a month, I felt the Lord touch my body and at my next cardiologist visit, I received the news that my heart had "healed itself completely."  I had no more heart conditions AT ALL!  I am perfectly healthy according to the doctors.  I was also cleared to do any exercise I wanted!

Praise the LORD!!!  So, I began to gain hope again.  My search for the right nutrition and exercise lifestyle begun.  I started asking questions from friends about their nutritional/exercise choices and here I am today.  I am currently on DAY TWO of a Clean Eating plan (through www.emeals.com), taking Biotin supplements, joining the local gym where I will receive personal training, and Zumba classes. I am feeling very excited about my future.  Already to date since November 2009 (when my third child was born), I have lost 33 lbs.  I need to lose another 35 lbs. to be in the center of the target weight for my height.  I have decided that I am going to blog through my weight-loss, healthy lifestyle journey, and hopefully inspire others to believe that with God, all things are possible, and I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.  He has led me to these choices for diet/exercise, and I know He will prosper me in everything I put my hand to.

It's time to restore the temple of my body, where the Holy Spirit dwells.  God loves us and desires each and every one of us to be healthy and full of abundant life.  If you would like, you can follow me on my journey by reading this blog.


CURRENT STATS:

Age: 29
Height: 62"
Weight: 153 lbs.
Dress Size: 8-10
Pant Size: 8-10



God bless you all in Jesus name!


Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Beloved - Kari Jobe